WSQ Apply LEAN Thinking In The Workplace
Purpose and Focus
On successful completion of this unit, learner will have the knowledge and skills in applying the principles and techniques to cultivate a LEAN culture in the workplace.
Brief Description of Competency Unit
"Lean," is a production practice that considers the expenditure of resources for any goal other than the creation of value for the end customer to be wasteful, and thus a target for elimination. Working from the perspective of the customer who consumes a product or service, "value" is defined as any action or process that a customer would be willing to pay for.
Lean manufacturing is a management philosophy derived mostly from the Toyota Production System (TPS)
Outcome of this competency unit specifies the outcomes required to apply LEAN Thinking in the workplace to avoid or reduce waste generation. This unit specifies the fundamental knowledge and principles to develop a LEAN culture in the workplace by people in a WSQ Level 2.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for participants from the Organizations in the manufacturing, service-based industries, as well as in higher education. This would be relevant to General Managers,
Department Managers, Engineers, Officers/Executives, Supervisors, Technicians and Administrative staff.
27hrs (Training hours: 24 hours & Assessment hours: 3 hours (Summative Assessment)
Pre - requisites
The course is intended not only for individuals who are in the manufacturing industries, but from service and other sectors also who are interested to learn the basic skills in applying LEAN Thinking in the workplace. Entry into the programme without one or more of the following prerequisites may affect a learner's performance in the training programme as well as on the job.
These prerequisites have been verified as essential to successful performance in the programme and on the job.
Assumed Skills and Knowledge
The skills and knowledge for this unit which the trainee is assumed to possess are as follows:
- Be able to listen and speak English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 5;
- Able to read and write English at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 5; and
- Able to manipulate numbers at a proficiency level equivalent to the Employability Skills System (ESS) level 5.
Terminal Performance Objective
To demonstrate learner’s attainment of the skills in the training program, the learners must be able to successfully perform the following within the given time limit with the resources provided:
1. Interpret LEAN Thinking, and how it help to increase value added activities
2. Apply the 5 LEAN principles as a framework for improvement activities
3. Identify 8 types of Wastes in the workplace according to simulation guide
4. Carry out standardised work in the workplace according to simulation guide
5. Apply A3 Thinking for problem solving skills
All the performance statements, underpinning knowledge and range of application in the competency standard will be assessed. The assessment may consist of a combination of any of the following methods:
- Practical Performance
- Written assignment.
- Case study discussion.
- Group/individual presentation.
- Oral question.
The trainee would be assessed by independent trainers after the duration of this course.